- “I like working with Cynthia because she’s organized and on top of things.” KC, IL
- Center for Companies That Care (www.companies-that-care.org)
- Girl Scouts (www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org)
- Village Church of Gurnee, Community Service Ministry (www.vcgurnee.org)
- YWCA Lake County (www.ywcalakecounty.org)
We honor Debbie Larker at the Lake County Women’s Coalition ~ Weaving the Stories of Women’s Lives
The common thread that ties Debbie Larker’s professional and volunteer activities together is reaching back to help others succeed.
Her eyes were opened to the value of networking when she started her design business in 1981, at a time when PRIME RATE was at 24%. Within the first month she joined two organizations: Lake County Chapter of Women In Management and the GLMV Chamber of Commerce. She quickly learned it’s not what you know but who you know that counts. This is where her skill as a super-networker soared. Debbie knows a lot of women. She knew that she was putting her volunteer efforts in good hands making a difference in our community.
1987 was a busy year for Debbie. She was elected president of the Lake County Chapter of Women In Management. The same year she won the YWCA Woman of Achievement Award for Entrepreneurship. Her design firm was the first business to start a partnership with Mundelein High School offering job shadowing opportunities to high school students.
In 1989 she was elected National President of Women in Management with chapters from coast to coast.
Debbie was invited to join SBA advisory committees at CLC and other boards including the YWCA and the United Way where she chaired two committees: Crisis Management Team and the Lake County Learns Coalition, an initiative to promote lifelong learning. Debbie’s connections led to many women becoming volunteers and joining various boards of many organizations. Debbie has been a member of Women’s Business Exchange since 1992 and has held every board position except treasurer. She has been a member and past chair of Lake County Women’s Coalition since 2004.
Now in retirement, Debbie and her husband volunteer for the Bereavement Ministry at St. Joseph in Libertyville.
Your Flexible Office, Girl Scout leader for 7 years and a Religious Education Catechist at St. Paul the Apostle Church in Gurnee for 6 years, where I’m still very involved. Most recently spending a lot of time at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville packing food for children around the world.
YWCA of Lake County
- Women of Achievement fund raiser committee member 2010, 2009,2008
- Served on the board of directors 2003-2010
- Chaired the Circle of Women fund raising event 2006 & 2007
- Served One Hope United Blue Ribbon Committee for about 5 years
- Lake Villa Chamber Past Board of Director for 6 years
- Past President of Lake County Life Underwriters
- Served in various positions at Bethel Lutheran Church – taught confirmation class for 10 years and Chairperson of Evangelism for 8 years